Saturday, March 11, 2017

Amshi: verb
Arabic for "I walk"

How do I know this?

This past Sunday I visited the University City Arts League in West Philly with my former student and  present friend, Kelly Weber. 

Kelly  (CCHS Class of 2002 ) and I have come to share a love of all things English, history (well, she a little more than I since she is a History Major --St. Joseph's University Class of 2006 ) art, and theater. We also have a special passion for service and celebrating diversity, so when she became aware of a special program, we knew we were partners for yet another road trip.

The University City Arts League was founded in 1967 by West Philadelphia artists and neighbors who purchased a house at 4226 Spruce Street. Their mission was to bring arts to EVERYONE in the community, believing that art can enrich lives and unite people. The house has an art and dance studio, and offers an after-school arts program for children.

On this particular day it was all about art and awareness, with a special emphasis on welcoming refugees. The program was called "Weaving Our Cultures Into a Collective Poem."
(remember, it's Stanza Saturday!) We were greeted by a young woman who gave us a choice of an Arabic word or phrase to learn. 

I chose "I walk" (Amshi)  and Kelly chose "colors" (al-Alwan). We were taught the pronunciation, and then...the art connection began. We decorated our words and practiced writing them.
After that, we were encouraged to use our newly-learned phrase into a sentence about Philadelphia. Then these sentences would become a poem about this wonderful city.  Individuals entering into Philadelphia will feel welcomed by the sentiments. To me, mission accomplished by the University City Arts League!

 These are the lines with the words incorporated. Kelly and I, over-achievers that we are, actually used the Arabic writing in ours :)



Close-up of our work...The day also included music from an acoustic folk pop group.

It was a delightful day for celebrating many things. First, I celebrated friendship and pride for Kelly, who has joined me in the teaching profession. Kelly is an upper school teacher in the history and theology departments at The Country Day School of the Sacred Heart in Bryn Mawr. I celebrated diversity and acceptance. I celebrated education for myself..and the education of my students.

I conclude with a poem of the joy of all the above in a verse by my student, Long:


The World


It's life giving
It's strong
It's robust
and it's right

The world is beautiful
With all its beauty
just right

With the many
Lives that live in it
and the many minds
that are creative here
there is endless possibility

Much of this world is crazy
Some good
Most bad
But in the end
It is all right

The world is beautiful
With its strength
And its mind

Long Shao


Coming up... an interview with a local author, a lovely Dietitian, and in Baltimore,  backstage at the Chesapeake Shakespeare Company

No comments:

Post a Comment