Sunday, April 30, 2017



The Good News? 
Lauren Adams delivers with class.
The Bad? 
There is none....
(just that we can't see her in Reading)

We all have those fantasy jobs that we never pursued....I must admit, a news anchor is one of mine. I can, however, live vicariously thought my former student, Lauren Adams, or Lauren Violand (when she was a student at Central Catholic, Class of 2002.)


That's Lauren on the left, 11p.m reporter for CBS affiliate WLKY in Louisville, Kentucky.
She is joined by meteorologist Jay Cardosi and anchor Vicki Dortch.

This busy woman took the time to answer questions on how she reached her career goal and what she had to do to get there.

 College attended/Year of Graduation/ Major/Minor?Syracuse University
Major in broadcast journalism, minor in history
I was class of 2006 but graduated a semester early in December 2005, in order to get a jump start on what I knew to be a highly competitive job market.

 Current position
I'm the 11 pm reporter for CBS affiliate WLKY in Louisville, Ky.
It is the number one watched show among viewers (according to tv ratings) at the number one station so while the hours aren't ideal - it's a great show to be a part of.

 Did always have aspirations to be news anchor?

This is a family business of sorts.  My father's brother and my grandfather had (and have) careers at newspapers.  My mother's younger sister - who began as a reporter- is now an anchor for CBS, Los Angeles.  It was not uncommon at all growing up for my Pop to leave holidays early to go to work or to visit my aunt and celebrate Thanksgiving the following weekend, when she had off.
Interestingly enough, the irregularity of the schedule never intimidated me.  The fast paced, ever changing atmosphere appealed to me.  What an incredible opportunity I have every single day to present the news to hundreds of thousands of people and impact their viewpoint.

 What were college classes that were either very interesting to you and/or very pertinent to your career?
Syracuse is known for their journalism school so I was fortunate to have a good 'road map' of sorts. I was required to take classes that worked on my voice (eliminating any trace of an accent or dialect which makes the on air personality more relatable in any television market (city) - north, south, Midwest.   I also took communication law classes. As a journalist it's important to understand how the law works.  In many instances we're in courtrooms covering trials so it's imperative to have a basic knowledge of the judicial system.  Also, it's not uncommon to go places where we're not welcome, where tempers are hot and it's an absolute must to know what your rights are- where you can be, where your cameraman can set up, etc.

Were you involved in any activities in college that led to your career?

Rather than get involved with the on- campus television station I spent my time at Syracuse interning at local television stations.  This was difficult, as usually I was working on the weekends when my classmates and sorority sisters were out.  My last semester in fact, I was driving an hour South every Saturday morning to work in Binghamton, NY.  But, it was worth it.  I was able to put together a great reel (a video composite of my work) and make it to a newsroom within weeks of my graduation.

After college graduation, what was the path or other positions that led to your present job?

 I interned and worked in news stations throughout my time at Syracuse.  From there I went to Albany, Georgia and then Paducah, Kentucky before landing in Louisville, Kentucky.   There's a lot of misconceptions about this business, a lot of people have asked why I didn't chose to stay local or work at a news station closer to Reading.   The news business is like any business- you start small and work your way up.  In my case, that meant accepting my first job 17 hours from home in Georgia- making about $200 a week.  It's only now, after more than a decade in the business that I'm living in a decent sized city, making a good salary.




What are your responsibilites in this position?    What do you do behind the scenes before you are on the air?
 I work 2:30-11:30 pm Monday thru Friday.  And while that's my schedule there's plenty of days I come in early, stay late, work weekends, and holidays.   Case in point- after working in this business 11 years I have yet to spend a Thanksgiving at home with my family in Pennsylvania.  But, that's part of it- the news doesn't stop.  There are plenty of other professions were people work holidays and weekends, so I'm certainly not alone in that.  While I've had various consultants over the years work with me on my hair and make up I am responsible each night for my own hair and make up.  A lot of times - because we are so busy -that means applying a little lipstick and doing a touch up at 10:55, right before the news starts.

I am responsible for pitching stories each day at our afternoon editorial meeting.  That means coming in 30 minutes before the meeting starts and making phone calls to various contacts: police officers, elected officials, community leaders, etc to find out what's going on in our city.  I'll set up interviews, write stories and then present them in a live report each night at 11pm.   Also, if there's breaking news- I'll respond to that.  Sometimes that means coming right in the door, going right out, and doing a series of live reports (a fatal shooting, a downtown fire, etc) before the night is over.


 Have you experienced any stand-out moments in this job either on or off the air?
I've had the opportunity to have some national exposure, which has been incredible.  But really the biggest reward is being given the trust of my viewers.  It would be impossible to tell you how many grieving mothers I've talked to that have lost children.  Last year, Louisville saw more than 120 murders.  There is nothing more satisfying than receiving a hand written note- mailed to the television station- thanking me for my time and letting me know how much they appreciated our efforts.  Often times, we'll talk to these families - urging the public to step forward with tips and incredibly sometimes the tips do come and arrests are made.  That's the biggest confirmation for me that I am not only doing the best I can, but workingto make a difference.




 What are your working hours?
 2:30-11:30 Monday through Friday but when we have special coverage that all changes.  Last year, Muhammad Ali (who was from Louisville) passed away.  I worked 11 straight days.

Did you move to your current location for this job?

I did.  My husband is from western Kentucky so when I felt I was ready to take my career to the next level it was important for us to stay within a few hours from his businesses and hometown- and that meant Nashville or Louisville.

 What are some perks for this career?

 I have been given some incredible opportunities over the years- meeting several Presidents and celebrities.  There are countless red carpets and charity events that I have the opportunity to attend and host.  Working in Louisville, the Kentucky Derby is hands down the best part of the year.  To get an all access pass to the most celebrated two minutes in sports never gets old.


 Meeting George Foreman
and Mark Sanchez

 And what are some challenges?

 The  schedule- the hours, sometimes working weekends and holidays and also being on call (much like a doctor) is difficult.   Also, it's tough not to bring this work -- and the emotions--home with you.  Each day I'm meeting people at their worst- the murder of a loved one, a child killed in a car accident, a devastating house fire.  It's hard to leave that at the door when you get home each night.


 Can you offer any advice for students who are considering a career as a news anchor/correspondent?

This is a very demanding, job that truly requires your attention 24-7.  Not a Saturday passes that my phone isn't ringing.  It's so much more than 'being on tv.'  A lot of interns I've met through the years have asked if this job is fun.  Occasionally sure there are some great perks, but this career is not 'fun'- it's hard work.  But, if you're willing to put in the hours and get your start in a small town with an ever smaller paycheck- you can have a very rewarding career.

Lauren has been honored over 20 times by the Kentucky Associated Press, being reviewed against other reporters in the state. She has been nominated for an Emmy, and some of her team coverage has helped win some hardware for stations at which she has worked.


************************************************

How I wish I would have scheduled a trip to Louisville as part of my TeacherTrek travels! I would love to see Lauren in action. 
(and pretend it's me?)

No, the good news is that I can take extreme pleasure in being part of Lauren's education at some point on her way to being an internal part of the Louisville community.














6 comments:

  1. Get a blank ATM CARD and cash good money/funds directly today in any ATM machine around you anywhere in the world. It's 100% guaranteed secure with no worries of being caught because the blank card it's already programmed and loaded with good funds in it, in such a way that's not traceable which also have a technique that makes it impossible for the CCTV to detect you, so get the blank ATM CARD today at our email address: unitedblankatmhackcard@gmail.com or whatsApp:  +44 7466 770724. and change your story for good

    ReplyDelete
  2. i want to testify of a great and powerful spell caster my Lover left me and the kids for 2 weeks when i called him he didn't pick up when he came back home the 3rd week he told me he wanted a divorce i was so sad i cried all night he left again i was so lonely the next day i was searching for something online when i found a spell caster called Dr kuta who have helped so many people with their problems so i contacted him with my problems he told me it will take 24hrs and my Lover will be back to me i did every thing he told me to do and the next day my lover came back kneeling and begging he canceled the divorce we are now happy togethe. drkutaherbalcenter@gmail.com   help you too Email him at dr or whatsApp him ‪+234 7054547814 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven’t you heard about United hacking company blank ATM card and how other people had benefited from it? I am Leah Hart by name, i want to share a blog and forums on how to get real blank ATM card,thank to united hacking company who helped me with an already hacked ATM CARD and i was so poor without funds that i got frustrated. One morning as i was browsing on the internet, i saw different comments of people testifying of how united hacking company helped him from being poor to a rich man through this already hacked ATM CARD. I was skeptical if this was true, i decided to contact him to know if he is real he proved to me beyond all doubts that its was really for real so i urgently receive my blank ATM card. Contact them on email: unitedblankatmhackcard@gmail.com and today am also testifying on how united hacking company helped me. I never believed in it until the card was sent to me, which am using today Contact the company now and become rich. Email: unitedblankatmhackcard@gmail.com  

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello viewer am Albert mike from Kenya 30 years old am here to share my testimony on how i joined the brotherhood of illuminati.. four months back when i wanted to join the brotherhood i was scammed by fake agents and people pretending to be Grand Master use the website.. until i met a friend MR BERRY WARD who gave me the genuine procedures i followed and made me a member of the great brotherhood of illuminati. today i am living a good life and i have enough money to do all i ever wanted .if u are interested and u need the help of my Initiator Berry.send email-grandmasterilluminati29@gmail.com or Whats'App MR Berry ward +1(720) 803-2932 thanks Berry, am living the dream i will forever be grateful

    ReplyDelete
  5. HOW ILLUMINATI BROTHERHOOD MAKE ME RICH AND FAMOUS. I am a member of
    the illuminati brotherhood, i want to give thanks to the Lord Lucifer,
    for what he has done for me, he changed my life, he bring joy and
    happiness to my life, i am living a good life today is because of the
    illuminati brotherhood, i have being try all my life to join the
    illuminati brotherhood, i was scammed some many times but i still did
    not give up, because when you give up in life, life will also give up
    on you, if you have been scammed so many times, my advise for you is
    not to give up, because the illuminati brotherhood is real, i joined
    the real illuminati paying just 300usd, to join the illuminati, i want
    you all to know today, , you don't pay money to join, my advice for
    you all is to make up your mind and join the illuminati brotherhood,
    when my initiation process was completed the benefits amount which was
    given to me is $1,000,000 to start a new life, this is the reason why
    i can not stop hailing the illuminati brotherhood, Are you a musician
    or a politician or a business person and you want to become rich in
    what you do if you are in any kind of problems or you in support in
    life, my advice to you is to join the illuminati brotherhood so that
    all your problems can be solve in life, to join the illuminati
    brotherhood you can contact Nathaniel Nelly on whatsapp, +1 (201)
    293-7097 or Email him on illuminatinationwide2@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. HOW I JOINED THE ILLUMINATI BROTHERHOOD AFTER I HAVE BEEN SCAMMED A LOT!
    Hello everyone my name is matthew dan i am from U.K i'm giving a
    testimony on how I joined the illuminati brotherhood, I was trying to
    join this organization for so many years now, I was scammed by fake
    agent in south Africa and india, I was down i could not feed my self
    and my family anymore and I tried to make money by all means but all
    in vain, I was afraid to contact any illuminati agent because they
    have scammed my money, one day I came across a post of someone giving
    a testimony thanking a man called nathaniel nelly for helping him to
    join the illuminati brotherhood, then I looked at the man's email and
    the phone number that was written there, I was afraid to contact him
    because i was scammed a lot of times by scammers who took my $50,000
    and went away with the money then I was very confused so I decided to
    contact the person that was given the testimony and i called him and I
    communicated with him on phone calls before he started telling me his
    own story about when he wanted to join he told me everything to do,
    then I made up my mind and called the agent called nathaniel nelly and
    he told me everything to do and I was initiated, surprisingly I was
    given my benefit of being a new member of the great illuminati
    brotherhood in lancaster California I was so happy, for those of you
    trying to join this organization this is your opportunity for you to
    join CONTACT NATHANIEL NELLY, CALL +1 (201) 293-7097 or WhatsApp him
    +1 (201) 293-7097 or email him on illuminatinationwide2@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete