Tuesday, January 31, 2017

What do you want to be when you grow up?

Each year the 9th grade College Prep classes write a research paper which asks them to consider a future career. They research skills needed, education required, the need for that profession in the world, and other other related information. I tell them that at the conclusion of the paper, they can make an honest assessment: "After researching this career, it is something I DO want to pursue" or "I DO NOT think this is the job for me!"

It's always one thing to read about a job, but no one can argue that it is better to talk to someone who is already in the field. I thought I'd devote some blog space to helping my students out by interviewing real people in real professions. All the individuals I meet with (I'm sure) will be able to continue a conversation beyond mine at any time.

Yesterday I was warmly welcomed by my former student/current friend, Joie Formando. Joie, a Central Catholic graduate of 09, is currently the Head Librarian at Lancaster Country Day School. Joie has a BA in English from Millersville University and a Master's of Library Science from Clarion University.

After spending a day with Joie, forget about all the stereotypes about a librarian! Joie, especially because she is a school librarian, does a lot more than sit behind a desk and check out books. She is as much a part of the faculty as any classroom teacher. She starts her day by meeting with a core group of 8th graders, being their "go-to" advisory person for grades, school information, and probably what they enjoy most, an ear to chat. I observed her first class that she co-teaches, a Health and Information Literacy course for 8th graders. This class centered on using proper sources and citations for a research project. She also visited a 7th grade class to show them the Data Bases that are available at their school.

BUT WAIT--IT GETS EVEN BETTER!
Joie does do important things for the library like ordering/processing/cataloging books, managing the library's Social Media sites, and collaborating with the faculty, but she makes it really exciting for her students.
She started some fun clubs, including a chapter of the Harry Potter Allegiance and organized a "Hogwarts Library" for Halloween. When you go in this library, it's obvious that it's a welcoming, fun place to read and study and just absorb the "reading is fun" atmosphere.

The black dome-like thing in the background is a star dome where kids spent some of the day with their  classes. It's kind  of a "blow-up" planetarium!

Miss Joie Formando, School Librarian Extraordinaire!



A day spent with Joie made me think of what a great career this is for anyone who loves books, kids, fun, and helping others--not only finding great books to read or sources for research, but helping them feel smart and special and important---what could be better than that?

One great thing about being a high school teacher is that it only takes 4 years to see my students "move on" and tackle the world. Many of you reading this blog may be, fortunately for me, a former student. If you have a career you'd like to share with my students let me know...bonus for all of the readers to catch-up and see where life has taken you.

Coming up: The Philadelphia Free Library---and Walt Whitman






2 comments:

  1. Happy birthday Mrs Hartline! I'm enjoying following your blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. 🟥🟪⬜️◻️🟫🟩🟦🟨🟧 Investment is one of the best ways to achieve financial freedom. For a beginner there are so many challenges you face. It's hard to know how to get started. Trading on the Cryptocurrency market has really been a life changer for me. I almost gave up on crypto at some point not until saw a recommendation on Elon musk successfully success story and I got a proficient trader/broker Mr Bernie Doran , he gave me all the information required to succeed in trading. I made more profit than I could ever imagine. I'm not here to converse much but to share my testimony; I have made total returns of $20,500.00 from an investment of just $2000.00 within 1 week. Thanks to Mr Bernie I'm really grateful,I have been able to make a great returns trading with his signals and strategies .I urge anyone interested in INVESTMENT to take bold step in investing in the Cryptocurrency Market, he can also help you RECOVER your lost Cryptocurrencies. you can reach him on WhatsApp : +1(424) 285-0682 or his Gmail : BERNIEDORANSIGNALS@GMAIL.COM
    , bitcoin is taking over the world, tell him I referred you🔈◻️⬜️🟥🟪🃏🟫🟩🟦🟨🟧

    ReplyDelete