Saturday, February 11, 2017

"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at at typewriter and bleed."
-Ernest Hemingway


On this Stanza Saturday, I am thinking about my students as I introduce the poetry unit. As I mentioned before, some can't wait to get started while others actually groan.  They may feel that  there will be blood involved in their labors!

Hemingway used the typewriter pictured above, but I'm sure that the type of bleeding he is referring to has more to do with the outpouring of emotions involved, the bearing of one's soul to the world. 

I'd like to share two poems today---one I found on the streets of Key West--literally:


In 6 simple lines this modern-day poet expresses a longing to see Cuba. I hope Jennifer Granada is able to take advantage of our ability to now travel to Cuba to realize her "coffee-colored dreams."

Speaking of Havana, it was very easy to picture Santiago, the protagonist in The Old Man and
the Sea as I gazed out on the Gulf Stream. His loneliness was probably overbearing at times.



The theme of loneliness can evoke powerful poetry. I share with you a poem by my student Eleni.


Alone
By Eleni Geishauser

You kill me again and again.
Your words like bullets,
Your fists like knives.
What have I done to hurt you?
Why do you hate me so much?
I am weak like a lamb,
And as dumb as a ox .
I have nothing to offer,
and yet you find something to take.

No one understands.
I have no one to turn to.
I can not fight back,
And I can not tell.
I am invisible,
But you can still find me.
With no where to hide,
And No one to help me.
I am alone


It is these passionate poems that make me share the pain, but mostly fill me with pride as these compassionate, soulful, joyful, teenagers allow themselves to bleed a little. It is these outpouring of emotions that help transform us as humans....always for the best.

Next week (in light of Valentine's Day), I'll share their ideas on love and relationships.

Until then.......MEOW....... 

No comments:

Post a Comment