Friday, February 24, 2017

You really won't believe what is underneath Bryant Park in Manhattan!

I'll tell you, but I'm getting ahead of myself....
I was in New York on Wednesday and my goal was the New York Public Library....

The GPS told us to turn up 41st Street, and as we did I noticed an interesting-looking bronze plaque on the sidewalk, which I of course read, and I saw another, and another, and I realized it was a thing!
It was this amazing path of awesome-ness...quotes from authors and poets all along the pavement leading up to the wonderful New York Public Library.


More about the library in a minute...I'll first share some plaques that my students may recognize from this year:

Jerome Lawrence and Robert E. Lee (authors of Inherit the Wind)



Ernest J
Hemingway


How can I not include Emily?

The library itself, known as the Stephen A. Schwarzian Building, houses collections in the humanities, social sciences, and fine arts. (There are 3 other buildings that focus on Black Culture, the Performing Arts, and Science, Industry, and Business.) It is part of a network including 88 neighborhood branches in the Bronx, Manhattan, and Staten Island. (Queens and Brooklyn have their own system---go figure!)

Marble, soaring arches, and colorful murals are everywhere.

Our tour took us to the Map Room, which has the largest public map collection in the world, including more than 10,000 maps of New York City alone.  In a different space one can view Columbus' 1493 letter announcing his discovery of the New World, as well as George Washington's original farewell address and Thomas Jefferson's Declaration of Independence. (When THAT leaves the library as part of an exhibit, it travels in an armed car!)

The Rose Main Reading Room is nearly the length of a football field.

 The interesting thing about this library is that you don't see people walking around with books. As a matter of fact, bags are checked before leaving to make sure you don't have a book....Why? This is a research library. All of the above items are available to view if you request them and they must be viewed on the premises.

And here is the amazing fact:
There are 3.4 million books and artifacts at this library. It has the capacity to hold 4.4 million (which may be an issue in about 8 years, because the library is always adding to its collection.)

WHERE ARE ALL THESE BOOKS KEPT?
YES...AS I ALLUDED TO IN THE TITLE.........

UNDERNEATH NEARBY BRYANT PARK!

Because of the limited space, the books are catalogued by size to make sure the everything fits utilizing space well. When items are requested inside the library, employees working beneath Bryant Park are gathering the books and sending them up in bins. The process takes about 40 minutes. The unsuspecting people eating ice cream, enjoying lunch, ice skating and listening to live music probably have no idea of the literary pursuit below them---I know I never did!

In New York City, one tends to look up, but I found out as I entered the building looking at the plaques, and as I left thinking about what lies beneath the park, that sometimes we need to keep our eyes focused all around!

I'll keep doing that for you.

Tomorrow is Stanza Saturday!
(poems from any readers accepted at any time.....)



No comments:

Post a Comment