Friday, February 17, 2017

Warning! That teacher may one day be your friend
(or what I learned from
 Friar Lawrence and the Nurse)

(photos from the Frank Zeffirelli's movie)

This week I had the amazing opportunity to view Romeo and Juliet at the Media Theater in Media, PA. It was one thing to have the chance to see a live performance of my favorite Shakespeare play, it was another thing to see it while my students are reading it with Mr. Olivard...and it was the BEST thing because I had the chance to see it due to a friendship with a former student, Deanna Stephan.


I was Deanna's 7th and 8th grade English teacher at Holy Guardian Angels School! I say that with an exclamation point, because I think that's pretty incredible. I remember Deanna back then---I actually remember a really nice writing assignment she composed based on the prop "Describe your favorite walk" when she provided clear imagery about a walk in San Francisco with her parents---the smell of the sourdough bread still comes to mind.......

Deanna, a Central Catholic (class of 1999) and St. Joe's University grad, took those skills and used them as she began her career as an English teacher in the Philadelphia Public School System. She currently teaches 9th and 12th grades at Garnet Valley High School in Glen Mills. When she heard I was on sabbatical, she offered me a day of observation, and a second day of chaperoning the play. Needless to say, I happily agreed.

It got me to thinking about friendships, young and old, and I often discuss friendships and age with my students. Romeo and Friar Lawrence were friends, as were Juliet and her Nurse, with  many years between them. Some of my best friends are people 20 years my junior and 10 year my senior...it's nice. I think we all should be careful not to overlook these surprising relationships in our lives.


Deanna Stephan and me at intermission. We laughed because it looks like the play is Romeo and Deanna!

And the play.....

Well the play (directed by Bill Van Horn) far exceeded my expectations. The cast was wonderful, but let's face it, if the title characters aren't engaging to the audience, then you don't have a play. Romeo was played by Brandon O'Rourke, and a young actress named Lexi Gwynn portrayed Juliet. I have seen many productions, but this was the first I have seen that the actress matched Juliet's age, or at least close to it. Juliet is young (''She hath not see the change of fourteen years") and Lexi, born in 2002, is fourteen. Perfect!


Lexi and Bradon/Juliet and Romeo
(Thanks to Roger Ricker from Media Theater for suppling the picture)


Curtain call (no pictures during the performance)
The characters were in a somewhat modern dress.
Scaffolding was nicely used for the balcony, Juliet's bedroom, Tybalt's perch to watch Romeo at the feast, and the crypt.

As I was walking out of the theater
I noticed a young girl sitting on a stool lacing up her hightops. I wasn't sure, but I thought, "What do I have to lose?" I asked her..."Are you Juliet?" Surely she was! I got a little starstruck and asked for a selfie and an autograph. At the rate she's going, I may have a valuable picture when she makes it big!

Me and Lexi!

BC students, if you are interested in a singing/acting career, check out her website for inspiration. She won the 2015 Broadway World Award as Best Actress for her portrayal of Helen Keller in The Miracle Worker.

lexigwynn.com

So that was my time with Romeo and Juliet, walking in with an old friend and making a new one.
BC students, I can't wait to hear about YOUR R&J experience!

Tomorrow is Stanza Saturday--I have 2 student poems about love <3





1 comment:

  1. I love our friendship!! And I love this blog :) Hope you are enjoying your year and I can't wait to catch up soon!

    ReplyDelete