Friday, February 3, 2017

Walt Whitman-not just a bridge




The first time I ever heard of Walt Whitman was when I was a little girl on my way to the beach. I knew when the car traveled over it we were  far away from home and I could soon count on "smelling the ocean."  As  I read his poems in high school and college, I suppose I made the connection to the bridge and the man, but it wasn't until I was a teacher that my curiosity piqued. Finding that Walt Whitman lived in Camden, NJ for 19 years before his death there , I  finally make the connection, "Of Course---the WALT WHITMAN BRIDGE!"

The Walt Whitman House (a national Historic Landmark) in Camden, NJ is a modest row home; I was pleasantly surprised at the number of true artifacts throughout the house. Original letters, personal belongings, the bed in which he died and the death notice that was nailed to the door have all been preserved. 



Walt Whitman's professional and personal life revolved around the written word. He was a newspaper printer, a teacher, a newspaper journalist and editor. He published his most famous book of poetry, Leaves of Grass in 1855; its style and content was new and original.
From my observations on this tour I learned that Walt Whitman had many character traits that we all can emulate:

1.  Originality and Indepence: He was known as the "Father of Free Verse"--he didn't feel the need to rhyme and wanted his poems to be different from Europe."
2. Family Values: When his brother George was wounded in the Union Army, Walt left New York for Washington DC to find him and nurse him back to health.
3. Empathy, Care, and Concern: After spending time in the hospital with his brother, he stayed to tend to the wounded and stayed working in hospitals for 11 years.
4. Generosity: He spent his excess money to give to his patients.
5. Patriotism: He had real respect for President Lincoln. After Lincoln's death, Walt wrote the famous poem "O Captain My Captain" in his honor. Many people recognize it as the poem featured in the movie The Dead Poet's Society.  (Remember the boys standing on their desks at the end as Robin Williams is forced to leave the school? (Freshmen---look this up!!!) 
Patriotism is also seen in the form of love of America and all its working inhabitants found in a poem we read in class: "I Hear America Singing"





I Hear America Singing  

 Walt Whitman1819 - 1893

I hear American Singing, the varied carols I hear
Those of mechanics, each one singing his as it should be blithe and strong,
The carpenter singing his as he measures his plank or beam,
The mason singing his as he makes ready for work, or leaves off
     work,
The boatman singing what belongs to him in his boat, the
     deckhand singing on the steamboat deck,
The shoemaker singing as he sits on his bench, the hatter singing
     as he stands,
The wood-cutter’s song, the ploughboy’s on his way in the
     morning, or at noon intermission or at sundown,
The delicious singing of the mother, or of the young wife at
     work, or of the girl sewing or washing,
Each singing what belongs to him or her and to none else,
The day what belongs to the day—at night the party of young
     fellows, robust, friendly,
Singing with open mouths their strong melodious songs.
I like how Walt is proud of all people, all professions, all genders.  (Please note the highlighted line for not only a grammar lesson of pronoun/antecedent agreement, but also for his inclusion and recognition of women!) 
After our tour of the Walt Whitman house, we traveled the two miles to Haleigh Cemetery.


I really appreciate Walt Whitman much more after seeing his house and finding out about his values. I believe he faced some adversity in his life--people questioning his freedom of expression. In his honor, I am willing to take a risk and present to you my tribute to Walt Whitman, inspired by his life and place of burial! (Please pardon the amateur filming.)



TOMORROW IS STANZA SATURDAY!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. When I contradict myself (which happens more frequently as I get older), I quote "Song of Myself." Also, I had to introduce friends in their 20's to "Dead Poet's Society," so I appreciate your comment, "Freshmen, look this up." Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete